Saturday 21 January 2012

Guacamole

I am not usually very fond of avocados. I am always hard pressed to find a use for it whenever I buy one. More often than not I simply use it as a filling in wrap, but sometimes I end up making guacamole. What it is about this simple dish that completely transforms the taste of an avocado?!

Oh! I read or saw somewhere once that a ripe avocado can be used in place of butter or spread on toast. Tried it. Hated it. But if you are one that 'loves' the unspoiled taste of an avocado, why not give this a go? 


2 ripe avocados
1/2 cup chopped onion (about 1/2 a large onion)
1-2 tomato, de-seeded and chopped finely (optional)
1/4 cup chopped coriander
1-2 green chili, chopped finely 
Juice of a large lime
Salt to taste

  • Cut the avocados in half and scoop out the fleshy bit into a bowl. Mash it using a fork. I like to leave it slightly chunky to add texture.
  • Add all the remaining ingredients except for the chopped tomato and mix well. You can adjust the heat by adding or reducing the number of chilies. De-seed them to remove some heat. I sometimes use pickled chilies when I don't have fresh ones handy. 
  • Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to combine.
  • Add the chopped tomato when you are ready to serve. If you add them before, it will release some water and make it slightly runny.  
Serves 3-4

Tip: If you prepare the avocados first and don't have the rest ready, remember to mix in the lime juice to prevent the avocados from oxidizing and changing colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment